Good evening parents! I hope you had a good week. My plan is to send you an update every 2 weeks unless something more urgent comes up.
We have had a great start to the school year. The students seemed to be settling into the new routines and rooms. Before you know it, graduation will be here!
1. Field Trip: Ropes Course on Friday, Sept 29. I have only received 3 permission slips at this point. We really need to get those collected as soon as possible. I am attaching another copy to this email. We also need drivers for this field trip. In order to drive, you need to have a driver form on file with the office. You also need to have completed Safe Environment training with the archdiocese. I can check on both those requirements if you want to drive.
2. Safe Environment Training: Any adult who wishes to volunteer at school or drive for field trips needs to complete this training. SMS has 2 upcoming training sessions. It is only 1.5 hours in person now and a online follow up every 3 years after. Contact the school office to register for either Sept 12 at 10 am or Sept 20 at 6 pm.
3. Technology Agreement and Fee: These are due on Friday, Sept 8. I have only received 3 of these. I am enclosing another copy if you need it. In order to start using technology at school, we need to have these on file.
4. Move A Thon: 8th grade parents are the champions for this event. You will receive an email from our roomparent with the link to the volunteer sign up in a couple weeks.. Please sign up to help or to send in fruit.
In addition, we are looking for monatary donations from each family. Information went out in the August mailing and in Dan’s newsletter. We are really looking for 100% participation in this event.
5. Uniform Guidelines: Most students are doing a great job with our uniform. There are a few small clarifications from the dress code last year. We added black socks to the other colors of socks allowed with the uniform (red, blue or white). In addition, leggings can be worn under shorts or skirts but not on their own. As a reminder, boots are not allowed until after Nov. 1. As your child grows, check out the uniform exchange for appropriately sized clothes.
Full uniform information is in the school handbook or on the website at
6. High School: It might seem to be an overwhelming progress as we transition your children to high school but I am here to walk you through the process. Each month, we will highlight the steps to take on this journey.
A. Shadow days: As soon as possible, go to the high school websites and sign your student up to shadow a student for a day. They are given an excused absence from school here to attend these days. These spots go fast so do it this week!! We ask that you try to not schedule more than one per week. If you have registered your student to do a high school visit, please let me know the dates. Try to avoid Oct 23-27 as we will be taking the ITBS that week.
B. There are 2 regional Catholic high school information nights on the eastside is Wednesday, October 4 at 7 pm at St Anthony in Renton or Wednesday, Oct 11 at Holy Family Kirktand. If you can’t make it either of those nights, there are other nights available around the region:
C. Open Houses: Each of the high schools has open houses scheduled. Go and visit the schools, talk to students and teachers and get a feel for the uniqueness of each place. Open house dates are listed here: http://www.seattlecatholichighschools.com/open-houses.html
You can find more information on their individual websites. Links to all these are here:
D. Paperwork: I sent home 2 papers today about these items. The first is a flyer about the HS Information Nights. The reverse has a great summary of testing, fees and deadlines for each school. I also sent home a planning guide for families to keep track of their progress. I would love for families to bring that form back to conferences in November to discuss.
Have a great week!!